From monastery to feel-good hotel
Anyone who has ever visited us knows that today’s feel-good Hotel Wessobrunn was once the summer residence of the Benedictine monastery of the same name in the Weilheim district of Germany. And many details still bear witness to this time: the heavy entrance gate greeting visitors in the reception hall, the fresco of St Mary and the ancient scroll next to the reception, the vaulted corridor in the wellness oasis, and more. Those who visit the Hotel Wessobrunn embark on a journey through time between exciting history and luxurious present.
Delving into the past
The Benedictine monastery in the district of Weilheim, Upper Bavaria, used the Wessobrunn estate in Meran, given to them by an elderly priest in 1313, as a summer residence and vineyard.
In 1803, the estate changed hands, with ownership passing to various individuals in turn, including the widowed Countess Bentinsk of Thuringia and subsequently her daughter, Countess Elisabeth Bentinsk.
From 1918 to 1945, the Wessobrunn estate was owned by the Italian government and was even run as a coffee house for a while.
Then, after the Second World War, the Wessobrunn estate came into the possession of the Mair family.
The estate was first transformed into a guesthouse and then, over the years, into the 4-star feel-good hotel it is today.
Despite these changes, the estate has retained its original name and historical ambience, evident in the surrounding vineyards and the hotel’s overall charm.
Pssst! Have you heard the legend of Wessobrunn?
Legend has it that Duke Tassilo III and his servant Wezzo once had to spend the night in the Red Forest because they had lost their way to their hunting lodge. The duke fell asleep on the forest floor and had a dream of a spring that flowed in four directions. From this spring, angels filled their vessels and ascended a ladder to the heavens. Tassilo saw this as a sign from God that he and his servant would not die of thirst in this forest, and the next morning, he instructed Wezzo to look for the spring. Before long, Wezzo discovered it, and full of joy and gratitude, Duke Tassilo had a monastery built on that very spot in the year 753. The name “Wessobrunn” is believed to have been derived from its discoverer, Wezzo, and “Brunn”, the German word for spring.
Wessobrunn Monastery was once home to Benedictine monks and can still be found in the town of Wessobrunn, in the district of Weilheim, Bavaria. Its monks owned several vineyards in South Tyrol, with one notable vineyard in Gratsch, near Meran, given to them by an elderly priest in 1313. As a token of appreciation, a mass was conducted every Monday for the priest’s salvation. This vineyard was named Wessobrunn after the monastery. The wine produced was transported to the monastery in Bavaria on horseback – an arduous journey from South Tyrol. The estate also served as a summer residence for the Benedictine monks of Wessobrunn Monastery.